Banh Xeo with Black Bean Purée
Preparation Time• 10 min.
Cook Time• 10 min.
Asian flavored, savory mung bean-coconut crepes filled with Seasoned Black Bean purée, sautéed shrimp, pickled vegetables and a savory Nuac Cham sauce. Serve as an appetizer or increase size of crepe for main dish.
Yield: 64 Servings
- 1 cSantiago® Seasoned Black Beans, prepared, puréed
- 64 eachMung Bean and Coconut Crepes, prepared(See Recipe)
- 32 eachCooked shrimp (21-25/ lb) peeled, de-veined, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cNuac Cham sauce(See Recipe)
- 2 lbsPickled vegetables(See Recipe)
- Garnish with Chopped Cilantro
- Spread a small amount of black bean puree onto each prepared crepe.
- Top with a halved piece of shrimp, drizzle with Nuac Cham sauce and garnish with pickled carrot, daikon and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
- 1-½ cWater, boiling
- 1 cMung beans, yellow or green, dried
- 2-13.5oz. cansCoconut milk
- 1-½ cRice flour
- 1 tspHoney
- ¾ tspSalt, kosher
- ½ tspTurmeric, ground
- ½ tspCoriander seeds, ground
- 2 TbspGrapeseed oil
- Pour boiling water over dried mung beans in a small-size bowl and let rest for 15 min.
- Blend bean mixture with coconut milk in a high-speed blender, about 1 min.
- Stir in rice flour, honey, salt, turmeric and coriander. Continue to process until well blended, about 1 min. Refrigerate batter for at least 30 min or overnight.
- Heat ¼ tsp grapeseed oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Pour ¾ oz. batter in a steady stream onto hot sauté pan into 3” circles. Cook crepes in batches, until golden brown, about 1 min per side. Repeat with remaining oil and batter.
Yield: 2 pounds
- 1 QWater
- 1-½ cSugar, granulated
- 1/2 cRice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Salt, kosher
- 2 tspTurmeric, ground
- 1 lbDaikon radish, peeled, julienne
- 1 lb Carrot, peeled, julienne
- Heat water, sugar, rice wine vinegar, salt and turmeric in a small sauce pan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, about 4 min. Remove from heat.
- Stir in daikon and carrot. Refrigerate overnight. Strain liquid prior to serving.
Yield: 2 Cups
- ⅔ cLime juice
- ⅔ cSoy sauce
- ⅓ cBrown sugar
- ¼ c (2 ea.)Scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 TbspFish sauce
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 tspRed chili flake
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved, about 30 sec. Refrigerate until ready to use