Whole Grain Chili Sopes
Preparation Time• 60 min
Cook Time• 55 min
Steel cut oat and bean chili, served in sopes garnished with sour cream, minced shallot, and Cheddar cheese for a heart-healthy meal.
Yield: 50 Servings
- 1 pkgSantiago® Quick-Start Chili w/ Red Beans
- 2 cOats, Irish steel cut
- 1 GWater, hot
- 1 QCorn, frozen
- 1 canHominy, drained, rinsed
- 2-½ QWater, warm
- 32 eachSopes, pre-made(See Recipe)
- 2-½ cRoma tomato, seeded, diced
- ¾ cShallots, diced
- ⅓ cJalapeño pepper, minced
- 3 TbspLime juice
- 2 cCheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 325º F.
- Combine Santiago® Quick Start Chili, oats, water, corn and hominy in a 4-inch deep, full steam table pan. Cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil.
- Bake until oats are fully cooked and slightly chewy, about 50 min. Stir well to distribute oats. Let rest 10 min before serving. Hold hot.
- Fill sopes with prepared chili and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake in oven until heated through, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, mix tomatoes, shallots, jalapeño and lime in a small bowl.
- Garnish sopes with tomatoes, shallots, and jalapeños. Serve at once.
- 2-½ QWater, warm
- 2 TbspKosher salt
- 3 QMasa Harina
- Mix water and salt into masa harina and stir with your hands until a soft, smooth dough forms. Knead dough on clean work surface until evenly moistened and no longer sticks to hands, about 2 min. Wrap dough on plastic film and let rest 30 min.
- Scoop masa harina dough using a 2-oz ice cream scoop, and shape into balls, cover dough balls with moistened towels. Working quickly so dough doesn’t dry out, and in batches, press dough balls into 3-in. wide discs cover dough discs with moistened towels.
- Heat a lightly greased 10-in. non-stick skillet over medium high heat; cook masa discs, in batches, until lightly browned and slightly puffy, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to work surface, and working quickly while warm, pinch edges of each disc to form a small disc with ½-in. high sides. Transfer to parchment lined, half-sheet pans, and cover with moistened towels, hold at room temperature. Repeat with remaining dough.